One month into the new year and you've stuck to your diet (kind of) and the new workout program is going well. Time for some fun.
Most guys in the gym are after one thing - massive arms. People tend to think this is an easy body part to work but if it was, we'd all be walking around with Hulk Hogan's "24 inch pythons". So here is the definitive arm workout to try this week:
*Make sure you're well fed and hydrated before you train so you can push plenty of nutrient rich blood into your muscles during training.
5-10 minutes on the cross trainer
2-3 sets of cable curl with light weight, full range of motion
2-3 sets of triceps pushdown with light weight, full range of motion
The concept behind each exercise here is to complete 3-4 lighter sets (Appetiser) as you work your way up to your max weight for 8 reps. Once you have that weight we're going to do a monster drop set to beat the muscle up (Main Course).
Standing barbell curl
- 4 sets of 12-15
- Monster Drop-set: 1 set of 8 with chains or bands; 1 set of max reps with reduced weight; 16 half reps with reduced weight; max reps with just the bar.
Tricep Pressdown (use two handles attached to single cable)
- 3 sets of 10-12
- Monster Drop-set: 1 set of 8; 3 drop-sets using reduced weight each time; 16 partial reps; isometric hold (hold the weight static halfway through the movement) x 30 seconds
- 3 sets 12-15 reps
- 20 partial reps on last set
Overhead Dual Handle Triceps Extension
- 5 sets of 8-10 reps
*At the end of each set: partial reps until failure + weighted stretch of the muscle at the top of the rep for 20 seconds
- 3 sets of 12 with 5 second eccentric
- 3 drop sets on the last set + isometric hold until failure
Single Arm Triceps Cable Extension
- 4 sets of 12-15
3 supersets of cable curls and cable extensions. 20 reps each, forget form and just pump as much blood into the muscle as possible.
Stretch the bicep and tricep muscles before leaving the gym.